Thank You, Ashland!
I am so grateful to our community for re-electing me to serve our kids on the Ashland School Board. I’m humbled that you trust me to make the right decisions for their education and to be a good steward of your taxpayer money. Throughout this campaign, I’ve had the opportunity to continue conversations with parents, teachers, and community members about what they want for our children’s education.
We have a lot of work ahead of us after a year of distance learning, but I am invigorated by our community’s commitment to giving our students the academic and emotional/social support they need to be successful. I am also excited about spending the next four years building on the Ashland School District’s foundation of equity, diversity and inclusion. I want to thank everyone who has supported this campaign – I would not be here without you.
Back to School
Under my leadership, the Ashland School Board has moved the school district, as well as the state, towards opening schools as safely as possible and as soon as possible.
After reviewing the scientific research, the Ashland School Board has consistently advocated for reopening schools.
- In October 2020, the Ashland School Board sent a letter to Governor Brown asking for greater local control to open schools.
- In December 2020, we supported the Medford School Board’s resolution to re-open schools.
- In January, the Ashland School Board unanimously passed a resolution directing the superintendent to, “…reopen schools as soon as possible as safely as possible to facilitate the return of all students to return….in person with their teachers and students.“
- This February, we led the state in taking a stand for kids by opting out of standardized testing for this school year.
Schools Bond to Re-Build Ashland Schools
Due to the generosity of Ashland voters, who understand the importance of investing in education, the Ashland School Board has been overseeing a $110 million bond to rebuild and upgrade our schools.
- I have been involved since 2017 when the community came together to identify goals and map out a path forward. My experience continues to help guide this complex process.
- Each month, the Ashland School Board makes the final approval on accepting building plans, hiring contractors, and approving larger work changes.
- I balance a number of factors in making bond decisions including using our taxpayers’ money wisely, doing what’s best for our students, and responding to ongoing community input.
Learn more about the Ashland Schools Bond here.
Nutritious and tasty school meals have been a passion of mine since I first joined the school board. In fact, one of my very first actions as a school board member was to co-lead a committee that investigated district-wide student and parent food preferences and cafeteria work practices. This committee made the successful recommendation to stop out-sourcing our food services to a international corporation and bring back all of the cafeteria jobs to our own district workers.
This photo was taken when our Nutrition Services Director, Christina Lehman, started a partnership with Valley View Orchard to bring local, organic produce to our cafeterias. It was an exciting moment for all of us!