I am running for Ashland School Board because I am determined that every single Ashland student has an excellent and rigorous education:
- An education that will lead to success whether our students choose to enter a career or go on to college upon graduation.
- An education that teaches our kids to be critical thinkers so that they can navigate an increasingly complex world.
- An education in which all students are valued.
I’m proud of my time serving Ashland’s kids. Throughout my tenure on the school board, I have developed strong, collegial relationships with my fellow board members and have remained an independent thinker while pushing the district towards more progressive policies. As a parent of students who thrive in theater and athletics, as well as academics, I understand the larger role that schools play in our kids’ lives.
My long-term and deep level of experience in education continues to benefit the school district as we face COVID, reduced state funding, and declining enrollment, just to name a few. Here are a few of my accomplishments that have a made real impact in the lives of students and employees:
- Co-wrote the first district equity, diversity and inclusion policy
- Moved the district publicly to present achievement data by race/ethnicity and gender so that we can close the achievement gap.
- Successfully pressed the school district to increase the number of in-person instruction days when reopening school
- Led the committee that ended the outsourcing of district food services jobs
- Moved the district towards a later start time for high school students, increasing engagement and academic achievement
- Co-led the Ashland School District Drug and Alcohol Prevention committee
- Initiated and administered the first employee feedback survey on the performance of the Ashland superintendent
- Have continuously supported smaller class sizes, especially at the elementary level
I’m running for Ashland School Board because I want to continue serving our students and our community. I am not beholden to any special interest group. If elected, I will continue to advocate for all kids, especially those who don’t have power or privilege.